I'm willing to admit that I may have over done it with potted flowers on the patio this year. But they just look so pretty! And they're so inexpensive! I mean, come on. Home Depot had annuals in four inch pots, two for a dollar. I definitely bought more than a dollar's worth. I just love all the vibrant colors. The kids and I put them all over the patio, and in the garden with the vegetables; but the swing set was starting to look a little bare. I decided to make little window box, so we could plant flowers there, too.
First, I measured the playhouse, and determined that I wanted my window box to be 18" long. So I went to the Lumber Department at Home Depot and grabbed a 1x4" by 6 foot piece of fence board (which is actually 5/8 by 3 1/2" but whatever). Then, I noticed that they were getting rid of a bunch of those same pieces of wood at 70% off because they were wicked bowed or curved. This would be a problem if I was making a 6 foot tall fence, however, they would work great for my little window box, and only cost about 40 cents. I splurged, and got two. The guy even cut them for me, so I didn't even have to get out the circular saw. Since I was going to stack two boards on top of each other to make the planter taller, I had him cut 5 pieces at 18" long; two for each side, and one for the bottom. Then, I had him cut two 6 1/2 inch side pieces. I also grabbed a defective piece of 1x2, and had him cut four pieces, 6" each, for the inside corners. I got all of the wood for under $2. Seriously. We also bought $2 worth of flowers, and came home.
It took me about 15 minutes to put together, including the 5 minutes it took to find my drill and one remaining wood clamp. First, I built the front and back panels of the window box, by screwing the 1x2s to the long fence board pieces with 1 1/2 inch wood screws. I made sure to leave enough room for the bottom and sides.
Next, I turned it upside down, and screwed the bottom into the 1x2s. Then, I attached the sides.
Boom. Window Box.
I just used wood screws, and screwed it directly to the swingset from the inside. You could also use brackets and mount it to a deck railing or fence.
We filled it up with potting soil, and planted and watered our flowers. The whole project; the wood, the dirt, and the flowers was about $5, and took about 15 minutes to put together. It came out so great, I'm thinking about making a bunch more to mount on the wall in the backyard because I'm out of space on the ground, and I still want to plant more flowers...